Spring has sprung and September school holidays are imminent, which must mean that Floriade is on in Canberra.
Running from 17th September – 16th October in Canberra’s Commonwealth Park, Floriade is much more than just a festival of flowers.
There’s plenty of free fun on offer and something for everything in the family to enjoy. Myself and my twins were there last year but sadly cannot make it this year.
Will you be going to Floriade this year? Have you discovered the joy of Canberra for families?
What’s On At Floriade 2016
- Lights on at NightFest; Floriade’s after-dark extravaganza will illuminate Commonwealth Park from Wednesday, 28th September to Sunday, 2nd October, showcasing spectacular lighting designs, premium food and wine experiences, live music and entertainment, including a performance from internationally renowned comedian, Jimeoin
- Chill out at The Campbell 5 Spritzer Garden, perfect for those who like to sit down with a cold drink and just take it all in. Open for three Saturdays out of five, The Campbell 5 Spritzer Garden will feature laidback music, comfy furniture and a beverage on arrival
- Indulge your sweet tooth with Adriano Zumbo. The macaron master’s pop up stall will offer a wealth of his well-known sweet delicacies and Floriade-inspired indulgencies from Saturday, 15th – Sunday, 16th October
- Family fun at The Kids’ Corner, with a plethora of activities, including DIY flower workshops, visits from Reptile Inc and an obstacle course
- Walk with a man’s best friend at Dogs’ Day Out on Saturday, 15th October. Commonwealth Park will become a puppy mecca, as people are invited to bring their pooches and help raise funds for charity partner Guide Dogs NSW/ACT
- Inspire your senses at The Floral Emporium, featuring bold, playful and unorthodox floral displays, entertainment and scent-sational workshops, thanks to Canberra’s floral all-stars – Moxom + Whitney, Lady Larissa, The Floral Society, CIT Floristry and Interflora
- Expand your cooking skills in The Kitchen Company Tasting Plate. Playing host to some of the country’s biggest names and best flavours, The Kitchen Company Tasting Plate will feature cooking demonstrations with Australia’s highest acclaimed Indigenous chef, Clayton Donovan, and My Kitchen Rules’ favourite, Scott Gooding
- Go shopping in The Marketplace; a food, wine and beer bazaar hosted within The Kitchen Company Tasting Plate, across each evening of NightFest. Explore the food and beverage crafts of brands such as Bentspoke Brewery, Pialligo Estate and Mount Majura Vineyard
- Relax among the flowers with Yoga classes every Thursday and Sunday
Check out the Floriade website here to find out all the info you need.
Check out these Canberra family visit posts:
- 15 Things To Do In Canberra With Kids and Where To Stay
- Canberra: sleeping + eating + ice cream!
- Canberra’s Best Playgrounds and Parks
- Four Highlights From Our Family Trip To Canberra
- Floriade 2016: Celebrate Spring in Canberra
- Novotel Canberra – Our Family Review
- Road trip: Sydney to Canberra By Car With Kids
- Things To Do On A Weekend Trip To Canberra With Kids
- 7 Tips For Trips To Canberra With Kids
A family trip to Canberra can mix sheer pleasure with a dash of edicational input too. There’s so much to see and do and sprin is a wonderful time to visit.
Happy holiday planning,