Adelaide reminds me of Edinburgh for that perambulatory ease. Like Edinburgh’s New Town, Adelaide’s centre is laid out on a grid, simple to navigate, wide streets, magnificent buildings. Like Edinburgh, it’s easy to get a feel for the city as a whole, to sense you know it well after just a short time.
When in a ‘walking city’ it’s ideal to stay right in the heart of the city. Deborah of Where To Next? and I stayed in the Adina Apartment Hotel Treasury Adelaide during our recent trip to Tasting Australia and Words To Go. The Adina is right on Victoria Square in the very heart of Adelaide.
Who doesn’t adore a historic building, renovated to add modern comforts to old fashioned grandeur?
The Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury has charm in buckets. It’s wide corridors, sweeping curved stairs and heavy bannisters take you back to colonial times.
Its modern facilities and very spacious apartments with kitchen facilities mean you can enjoy the past with contemporary pleasure.
Adelaide Treasury Building – The History
First constructed in 1839, just three years after the colony was founded, the Treasury building is one of the most historic and significant in Adelaide. During the gold rush, bullion was brought down from Victoria and gold coins were minted in the Treasury.
The original building has been replaced for the most part and there have been major renovations over the years. Several govenment departments used the building, including the South Australian Executive Council from 1876 to 1968.
In 2002, a major renovation saw the building become an apartment hotel, many original features were uncovered and restored.
The courtyard garden is delightful. A lovely spot to enjoy breakfast in the mornings and a drink in the evening.
From the hotel, you can easily walk to:
- Central Markets
- Adelaide Botanic Gardens
- Adelaide Gaol Historic Site And Museum
- Glenelg Markets
- Haigh’s Chocolates Visitor Centre
- A Taste Of South Australia Wine
- Adelaide Festival Centre
- Parks and walking paths alongside the Torrens River
I’d joyfully stay in this hotel with my kids because:
- It has 79 apartments, studio, one bedroom and two bedrooms. Apartments have kitchens which are essential when travelling with children.
- The’d love the small gym, and the long lap pool, and the older boys would love the sauna.
- Location, location, location – it’s easy to walk to places. My teenagers could roam around on their own and get back quickly and easily when they ran out of cash.
- The two bedroom apartments have two bathrooms, fab not to have to share with those teenagers!
Do you love an apartment hotel too?
What’s your favourite place to visit in Adelaide?
Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury
2 Flinders Street
SA 5000 Australia
Tel: +61 8 8112 0000
Fax: +61 8 8112 0199
Website: Click here
Last Updated on