Take a bow, the easy cashew and mushroom layered roast! This is the Christmas lunch made for the Intn’l Man of Mystery for the past 22 years.
This isn’t the prettiest dish, but it IS totally delish.
I do also serve ham and other meat dishes at Christmas, but to be honest, this simple veggie dish is my fave,
For years I have been meaning to perfect a creamy mushroom sauce to go with it… no success so far.
- I small onion, chopped
- I tbs oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 225gr cashews
- 110gr fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp Vegemite
- 150ml veggie stock
- 25 gr butter
- 225gr mushrooms, sliced
- Put oven on at 180 degrees.
- Fry onion and garlic until soft and golden.
- Grind cashews. Mix in breadcrumbs, add egg, sweet potato and rosemary.
- Add in the onions and any juices from the frying pan.
- Mix Vegemite into stock and then pour into cashew mixture and mix well.
- Divide this mixture into two equal parts.
- Saute the mushrooms.
- Put one half of the cashew mix onto the bottom of a suitable dish.
- Spread the mushrooms on top of that.
- Spread second lot of cashew mix on top.
- Cover in foil.
- Bake in oven for approx one hour, serve hot or cold.
- Freezes well.
If you like this, check out the other family recipes on this website here.
This Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe is another vegetarian favourite of ours.
Do you have a vegetarian dish for Christmas?
Any top tips for other nut roasts, this is the only one I’ve ever made: do post links in comments.