Now here’s an article that I’ve written because I need to know the information myself. I’ve often though that it would be good to try caravan hire or camper trailer hire, Sydney has heaps of options as it turns out.
So if you’ve thought of hiring a caravan when you come to visit Sydney, or of hiring one in Sydney and then setting forth on an adventure, read on.
Contents of this post
Hire Caravans in Sydney
When visiting Sydney with young children, holiday parks are fab places to stay as there’s so much space and freedom for the children to run around, plus of course, they are economical.
Whilst renting cabins at holiday parks is not so cheap, you can always rent a caravan and use it at one of Sydney’s best sites, like NRMA Sydney Lakeside Holiday Park at Narrabeen or Lane Cove Holiday Park.
There are all sorts of websites that connect caravan owners with families who would like to hire one. I had looked at some of these in the past and then was thrilled when a friend I’d met ages ago at a fitness camp told me that her family had bought a caravan and were offsetting the cost by renting it out to others.
So I’ll use Belinda’s caravan ‘Georgie’, a 2015 Jayco Expanda 16.49-4, as an example of what sort of caravans you can hire. Or we could!
Renting Georgie costs $90 a night in low season and up to $110 in peak season. Georgie can sleep six people in two double beds and two bunks.
I asked Belinda whether they had done many caravan holidays before they bought their own one: ‘We hadn’t rented a caravan before, but plenty of people do. We had been saving for ages, and had been ‘tenting’ before. So for the last few years we were talking to people and checking out all the caravans we could. Facebook is great to do research on.’
With so many platforms to connect caravan owners and renters how did Belinda choose:
‘ I did a pros and cons of the two main companies, and Caravan and Camping Hire ticked extra boxes for me, mainly that their fee for hirers is cheaper and they didn’t hide it. CNCHire is very transparent.’
Ideas of Where To Stay Near Sydney
Here are some places which Belinda has visited in Georgie with her family and which she recommends.
- NRMA Ocean Beach Holiday Park at Umina
- Norah Head Holiday Park
- Lani’s On The Beach at Old Bar
- Blacksmiths Beachside Holiday Park
Belinda’s Top Tips For First Time Caravan Renters
- Don’t overthink it. Hiring a van is fantastic as in our case, we have thought of everything. We supply a itemised inclusions itinerary list so hirers can see what’s included; coffee machine, toaster, board games, uno, buckets, colouring in and more. and even a hairdryer.
- Join and read as many caravan Facebook pages as you can. Be sure to ‘search’ for your topic as it’s probably been discussed before.
- Ask questions, people are happy to help. As an owner of a van that we hire out, we hope that people will chew our ears off, we encourage them to call/email/text us on the leadup to the trip with the smallest question, and the same during their trip. We understand that many people will be first-timers. Towing weights and towing vehicles are always a concern and thankfully CNChire will intercept if a hirer tries to hire our van but their car won’t be able to tow it. Most people ask questions first and learn. We are more than happy to help.
Thank you Belinda!
Read the full spec for Georgie the caravan on CNC Hire here.
Do a general search for dates and locations for on CNC Hire here.
Keep up with great ideas for where to stay in a caravan on Belinda’s Facebook page here.
Caravan Hire and Camper Trailer Hire Sydney Q+A
You can discuss any locations with the person you rent from. Belinda offers to move her caravan to NRMA Lakeside at Narrabeen for an extra charge. Other owners offer to do the towings for you to various locations too. Or you can set off on the open road.
Yes, you do need to pay a bond on every caravan rental platform.
Most rental caravans can be cleaned by the renter or can be cleaned by the owner for an extra fee.
Always check the caravan’s details carefully to see what is included in terms of heating and cooling.
Yes, there are many on offer, just do a search on CNCHire here.
It is the usual story, if you’d like to rent a caravan or camper trailer during school holidays, book well in advance. If you are booking during school terms, you can leave it later.
Another option of course is to decide where your family would like to visit, for example Forster or Port Macquarie or Eden, and then to do searches and hire a caravan there and stay in a local caravan park. That would probably be easier than towing one from Sydney, unless you wanted to stay at several places on a bit of a road trip of course.
Can you add any top tips for caravan hire?
Where is your favourite place for a caravan holiday?