Look I’m an animal lover, but some species can really stretch a friendship!
We have leeches in our garden when it’s wet and they seem to love me a lot more than I love them.
Silly little suckers.
Did you know the leeches here in Australia have two jaws and leave a V-shaped wound? In other parts of Asia, they have three jaws, so at least that’s something.
Leeches can ingest up to ten times their body weight in blood. The ones I’ve met certainly have a go at that.
Five Top Tips For Those Whom Leeches Love
1. Do not panic, leech bites are harmless, no diseases will be passed.
2. You can gently pull the leech off; push your finger against the sucker and gently roll it away. This is the humane method.
3. Or be cruel and put some salt on the leech’s skin, it will fall off and expire.
4. Wearing shoes will help prevent them attaching – note to self.
5. Don’t worry if the little wound bleeds for a while, that’s normal. Do worry if it becomes infected, visit a doctor.
There are enough little creatures wanting me to feed them in this house. I really don’t have time for leeches.
They are great for making your kids squirm and say ‘yeuch!’ though.
Now have I ever told you about the time I was lost in the jungles of Borneo, wearing leech socks which proved useless?
Lets just say that they invaded my knickers and there was blood everywhere.
Anyone or anything bitten you lately?
Do you have these little suckers in your garden too?
Lovely, aren’t they?
Take it easy,
PS Great leech info from Australian Museum here
A post on sea lice bites here – with photos of my thighs – sorry!
Last Updated on