If you’re looking for a cake that has healthy attributes throw your arms in the air and run away screaming.
This simple white chocolate mud cake is the least healthy cake known to man: it’s basically an instant coronary.
You have been warned.
This cake is the teenagers’ new birthday cake of choice, so twice a year I make it, with love.
Simple White Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe
- 250g butter
- 150g white chocolate
- 440g caster sugar (2 cups)
- 250ml milk (1 cup)
- 225g plain flour (1.5 cups)
- 75g SR flour (0.5 cups)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- Set oven to 160 degrees C.
- Chop butter and break up the chocolate and put them into a saucepan with the milk and
- Heat very gently, stirring, until everything melts together and is smooth: no boiling!
Cool for 15 minutes.
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla.
- Blend flour into butter, sugar, chocolate and milk mixture. Then stir in the eggs and vanilla mixture.
- Pour mixture into tins. I used two small round spring tins for this cake, but often use a
larger single tin. Official Womens Weekly recipe calls for one 20cm round cake tin.
- Bake large single tins for about an hour, then cover tin with foil to stop it burning and
bake another 45 minutes. My smaller tins took about 45 minutes.
Ice with white chocolate ganache: 125ml cream (0.5 cups) and 300g white chocolate gently heated together then cooled… makes heaps… I used about ? of that amount.
By teenagers’ request, there are no photos of the candles or himself blowing. These modern kids do know their digital rights.
The recipe is from a book called Cafe Cakes, by the Women’s Weekly. My two sisters and I have have that small recipe book and we swear by it.
So there you have it. One son one year older… always a little voice at the back of my mind saying: ‘I want my baby back!!’ Last year, I was allowed to put some photos of him up and write 16 things about it.
But not this year. Fair enough, son. But the cake goes out into the world!
Please don’t make it if you already have clogged arteries. Luckily, I’d had a big swim with the Bold and the Beautiful yesterday morning… I needed some simple carbohydrates… and I got them!
Find much healthier cakes here:
Hope your week goes well, and the baking too.
Do you make the odd death by chocolate cake?
Or are all your cakes of nothing but dates, nuts and organic cocoa??
Don’t tell me!