So, some readers have asked exactly what we will be doing during our upcoming holiday to Vietnam. So here, for your delectation, is our Vietnam family holiday itinerary.
We have created this two week holiday with local tour company Vietnam Paradise Travel, they were very patient as we hummed and hawed and worked out what we could fit in without feeling that we were rushing around too much. Here’s what we will be doing.
Saturday 7th December
Fly from Sydney to Hanoi and stay for three nights at the Rex Hotel.
In Hanoi we will:
- Do a self-guided walking tour around the old quarter and Hoan Kiem Lake
- Do a city tour visiting the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, One Pillar Pagoda, Ethnology Museum, Literature Temple and more
- Cyclo tour in the old quarter
- See the Water Puppet Show
Tuesday 10th December
Transfer to Halong Bay for a two night cruise with Alisa Cruise.
At Halong Bay we will enjoy:
- Kayaking tours
- Visit Titop Beach for swimming, climb up Titop Mountain
- Visit Cua Van Floating Village, Tien Ong Cave, Trong Cave
- Cooking class
- Squid fishing
- Sunrise tai chi
- Visiting Sung Sot Cave with its beautiful stalactites and stalagmites
Thursday 12th December
Return to Hanoi airport and and fly to Danang, then travel to Hoi Ann where we stay for four nights at the Laluna Hoi An Riverside Hotel & Spa.
In Hoi An we will:
- Do a walking tour of Hoi An
- Visit Hoi An Market and enjoy a Red Bridge Cooking School class
- Paul is playing gold at the Vin Pearl Nam Hotel golf course, kids and I will explore the beach
Tuesday 17th December
We fly from Danang to Saigon aka Ho Chi Minh City where we stay for four nights at the Orchid Saigon Hotel.
In Hanoi we do day trips:
- Saigon city tour
- Chu Chi Tunnels day trip
- Mekong Delta day trip
Friday 20th December
We have a last day in Hanoi and then fly back to Sydney overnight – ouch!
Then it will be a mad scrabble to get home and all sorted out for Christmas Day!
The itinerary looks pretty busy, but we do hope to have time to sit at cafes watching the world go by now and then, and to sample a lot of Vietnamese street food. Another thing many people have recommended to us is a night food tour by Vespa, so perhaps we will do that one night too.
I cannot wait!