Just three hours drive from Sydney, Bathurst is a terrific place for Sydney families to explore. There is something for every member of the family to enjoy. Worth the visit for sure.
Use this post to start planning a trip out to Bathurst, for a weekend getaway from Sydney or a whole week’s country break in the countryside.
NB You’ll find info on the best deals at Bathurst hotels at the bottom of this post.
Bathurst Winter Festival takes place each July. There’s SO MUCH fun wintery stuff to do with kids. Check out the program here.
Bathurst With Kids
The vibrant and historic city centre is packed with fun for families.
Learn about car and motorcycling history at the National Motor Racing Museum, join a ghostly night tour or enjoy high-tea at Abercrombie House and enjoy nostalgic treats at Annie’s Old Fashioned Ice-cream Parlour.
Drive to historic villages Sofala, Hill End and Rockley for bush-ranger and gold-rush experiences.
The growing sophistication of Bathurst satisfies grown-ups too with hip cafes, award-winning bars and restaurants tucked away down cobblestone laneways, and a renowned art gallery.
15 Things to do in Bathurst With Kids
- Australian Fossil & Mineral Museum – meet a real T-rex dinosaur and see world-renowned fossils
- Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit – drive the world famous track and see views of the Bathurst plains as the early explorers did
- Abercrombie House – enjoy high-tea or a ghostly tour at this historic house with 52 rooms and six internal staircases
- National Motor Racing Museum – discover the history of motor racing
- Annie’s Old Fashioned Ice-cream Parlour – step back in time for sweet treats in a gorgeous old fashioned shop and try the locally named Sofala Gold variety
- Barcoo’s Barn – offers the perfect farm-stay or visit with pony rides, feeding the animals and collecting the eggs
- Crago Mill Emporium and Heritage Centre – enjoy home-baked treats in the café and admire the beautifully restored four storey mill while the kids check out the antique toys and lolly shop
- Simmo’s Off Road Tours or Detour Adventures – get up close and personal with nocturnal animals, including Sugar Gliders, Wombats, Kangaroos and Platypus
- Pizzas at the Church Bar – housed in the old Anglican Church School House located on notorious Ribbon Gang Lane churchbar.com.au
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery – checkout all sorts of unique gifts and toys at the BRAG shop, a vibrant space showcasing the full spectrum of artistic endeavour
- Abercrombie Caves – bushrangers and miners once roamed these caves, test the echo and acoustics or pan for gold in the creek
- Yarrabin Horse Riding – take a ride through spectacular countryside on a lovely quiet horse
- History Hill at Hill End – is a great place to learn about the gold rush days of the 1850s with a magnificent display of fossicking and mining tools, an underground mine and blacksmith shop
- Legall Patisserie – enjoy a taste of French in the country at this renowned bakery with lemon tarts, macaroons, éclairs and fruit tartlets
- Jumbo’s Jungle Playhouse – a great indoor play centre where children from 0-11 years can play in a safe family-friendly environment while parents sit back and enjoy a coffee. Fully air-conditioned for the warmer months and heated for the winter
And there’s more!
Bathurst Adventure Playground
This fantastic playground in Victoria Park has with dual flying foxes, one with accessible seat, carousel, a raised sandpit complete with dinosaur fossils built in and great slides. So many great features in this playground, the only drawback is that it is not (yet) fenced.
Read more about a Central NSW experience at www.visitcentralnsw.com.au
Bathurst Family Accommodation
We recommend the NRMA Bathurst Panorama Holiday Park, set just 4km from the centre of town. You can camp there, or bring your caravan. There are also studio units, two and three bedroom cabins. The holiday park has a good pool, waterslide, bouncy pillow and a playground.
Or check out great deals on Bathurst hotels on booking.com here.
Have you taken the family to Bathurst?
Happy travel planning!