Anyone who has the pleasure of being a parent will know that mothers and daughters share a special bond that can be strengthened by spending time together and creating shared experiences. However, with the global recession and inflation at an all time high, finding affordable activities that you can enjoy with your child can be a slightly challenging affair. Thankfully, all is not lost. In fact, there are numerous activities that mothers and daughters can bond over, regardless of budget or financial constraints. After all, at the end of the day, quality time spent making cherished memories with your daughter is worth infinitely more than any fancy dinner, expensive gift or extravagant holiday.
If you are looking for some budget-friendly ways to spend more time together, look no further. Today, we share 6 activities to enjoy with your little one, many of which cost close to nothing to enjoy. Whether you’re an avid outdoors woman or someone who loves getting creative in the kitchen, there is certainly something for everyone in today’s list. So, what are you waiting for? Read on to find out more.
- Have A Self-Care Day
Self-care days can look pretty different from person to person. For some, a perfect self-care day could involve getting their adrenalin pumping or going for a dip in the sea. For others, doing a little savvy online shopping could be just the thing when it comes to self-pampering. There’s nothing quite like saving serious money at your favourite stores like Myer by browsing through Qantas Shopping to earn Qantas Points with every purchase.
Yes, a day of self-pampering is certainly guaranteed to be enjoyable for women of all ages. For mothers and daughters in particular however, taking some time to share what ‘self-care’ means to you, can pave the way for some serious generational bonding. Mothers simply have to chat with their daughter ahead of their big day together to ask exactly what activities she’d like to do. From here, simply make any necessary bookings, keep that day free, and anticipate your opportunity to relax, unwind, and refresh together.
Keep in mind too that your shared self-care day doesn’t necessarily have to involve eating at a fancy restaurant or visiting a luxury spa either. If all you and your daughter want to do is just stay home and enjoy a quiet activity together, then that’s precisely what you should do! This can be especially beneficial for mothers and daughters who are on a budget or just prefer to stay practical in their self-pampering. That and making your own at-home spa day is actually not too tricky a feat to accomplish!
- Host A Movie Night
For the ultimate in affordable bonding activities, look no further than movie night. Hosting a movie night in the comfort of your own home can be a fun and memorable experience to enjoy as mother and daughter. This no-frills activity provides a chance for mothers and daughters to unwind and relax together, and can be a great way to escape from the stresses of daily life and enjoy some downtime together. Moreover, which kid doesn’t enjoy a bit of TV time?
Here are some top tips to bring your mother-daughter movie night to the next level:
- Choose A Movie: Let your daughter have a say in choosing the movie. Consider her interests, age, and appropriate content for her age. You can also choose a movie that you both enjoy, or one that you haven’t seen before and would like to watch together.
- Set The Scene: Create a cosy and warm atmosphere by dimming the lights, using blankets and pillows, and perhaps even lighting some candles or turning on some fairy lights. Make sure the room is comfortable and free of distractions, such as phones or other electronic devices.
- Prepare Lots Of Snacks: Prepare lots of yummy snacks that you and your daughter can enjoy during the movie. Popcorn is a classic choice, but you can also prepare other treats such as candy, potato crisps, or fruit if you’re feeling healthy. Don’t forget to also have some drinks available, such as water, juice, or soft drinks for a special treat.
- Get Comfy: Make sure you and your daughter are comfortable before the movie starts. Consider wearing pajamas or comfortable clothing, and make sure you have everything you need, such as throw cushions or blankets.
By following these handy tips, you can create a special bonding moment with your daughter that she will cherish for a lifetime.
- Bake Up A Storm In The Kitchen
If you love getting creative in the kitchen, consider setting aside some time to bake up a storm with your little one. Most children enjoy baking because it is a hands-on activity that involves measuring, mixing, and decorating. They get to use their senses of touch, smell, and taste, which makes it an exciting and engaging experience. Additionally, baking is a great way to teach children important life skills like following instructions, measuring ingredients, and working safely in the kitchen. These skills can help your child in other areas of their life, such as in school or when learning new tasks. Most importantly, baking with your daughter can be a great way to spend quality time together and bond over a shared activity, and the immediate rewards are particularly yummy too!
Top Tip: When baking with young chefs, we recommend choosing easy recipes such as cupcakes, cookies or muffins that don’t require special or fancy tools. Select recipes that use ingredients that are easy to find and don’t require a lot of preparation. Baked goods that can be decorated (such as iced cookies) are also a great option as they allow children to channel their artistic creativity.
- Learn A New Craft Together
Have you been yearning to learn a new craft? If so, why not consider taking up a new craft hobby with your daughter? Whether it’s crochet, cross-stitch, knitting or even the wonderful world of candle making, picking up a new skill provides an opportunity for mothers and daughters to spend quality time together. When you learn a new craft together, you are able to focus on a shared activity and enjoy each other’s company without distractions. As you and your child work on your craft, you can share ideas, experiment with different techniques, and learn from each other. This can help to foster a sense of curiosity and creativity in both of you. Thankfully, this bonding activity doesn’t need to cost a bomb either. Aside from the initial cost of supplies and tools, there are numerous free videos and tutorials available online to learn from. We love using Youtube as a learning resource for all things crafty, as well as websites such as Skillshare that offer affordable online courses on a wide variety of topics.
Explore 10 online resources for free craft classes and inspiration here.
- Plan A Photo Shoot Around The City
If you’re looking for an affordable and creative activity, consider planning a photo shoot around the city with your little princess. A photo shoot can be a creative outlet for your child, allowing them to express themselves and have fun in the process. They can choose outfits, poses, and props that reflect their personality and style.The beauty is that all you need for a mother-daughter photo shoot in 2023 is a decent smartphone, a basic tripod and/or a selfie stick and you’re ready to go! As an added bonus, a self-curated photo shoot can take you and your daughter to new and interesting locations that you may not have explored before. Most importantly, a photoshoot will provide you with a ton of amazing photos that you can look back on in the future. Children grow up so fast, and a photoshoot can capture lasting memories that you can cherish forever.
- Become A Geocaching Girlboss
Last but not least, if you and your little one enjoy a bit of outdoor adventure, geocaching will certainly be up your alley. Geocaching is a modern-day treasure hunting game that involves using GPS-enabled devices to find hidden containers, known as “geocaches,” in outdoor locations around the world. This fun activity is totally free and can take you to new and interesting locations that you may not have discovered otherwise. It can be a great way to explore new parks, trails, and other outdoor areas with your daughter.
To start geocaching, follow these steps:
- Visit the official geocaching website (www.geocaching.com) and create a free account.
- Download a geocaching app like the official Geocaching® app on your Android or iOS device.
- Simply search for geocaches on the geocaching website or app. Geocaches are marked by their GPS coordinates and descriptions of their hiding places. Choose a geocache that you would like to find and note its coordinates.
- Use the GPS on your phone to navigate to the location of the geocache. Be sure to bring any necessary tools such as a pen or pencil to sign the logbook inside the geocache. Once you have found the geocache, sign the logbook and trade any items you have brought with you.
- Log your find on the geocaching website or app to document your discovery.
- Keep searching for new geocaches and enjoy the adventure of mother-daughter geocaching!
Explore the hidden benefits of geocaching here.
And there you have it — 6 fun and affordable ways to spend more time with your daughter and create lasting memories that you look back on fondly for years to come. At the end of the day, a strong bond between a mother and daughter can lead to a deeper, more meaningful relationship. By spending time together and building trust, mothers and daughters can develop a lifelong connection.
We hope that this article has given you a few new ideas on some budget friendly experiences that you can share with your little one. What are some of your favourite affordable mother-daughter activities? Be sure to share your ideas in the comments section below!