Do you ever read a recipe and just know you have to make it straight away? This was the case with this super healthy banana bread recipe. It looked so nutrition-dense, but more importantly, it looked delicious. And indeed it has proved to be a banana bread recipe which is easy to make and very yummy indeed.
This banana bread is sugar free and gluten free too. It just has wholesome bananas, eggs, honey, nuts and spices. My older boys love this, and it might be the healthiest item in their diet. Oh dear!
The twins would still go for the not-so-healthy Easy Moist Banana Cake though, which is full of sugar and butter.
Super Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas (or 4 if they are small)
- 2 eggs
- 80g (1/4 cup) honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 125 g (1 cup) almond meal
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 80g (1/2 cup) pecans or walnuts
- slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Blend bananas with eggs, honey and cinnamon until completely smooth.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and mix in.
- Chop walnuts or pecans and mix in gently.
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf tin and top with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until ready, when a skewar comes out clean.
- Cut up and eat warm - lovely!
If this sounds just too outrageously healthy, do check out the Easy Moist Banana Cake recipe, it’s a cracker.
I found this recipe in a wonderful book called ‘Avalon Food’ many years ago. The cookbook was produced by parents and friends of Avalon Public School and sales of the book raise funds for the school.
Avalon is a gorgeous small beach suburb on Sydney’s Northern Beaches. It attracts a lot of creative people. Read about Avalon Beach here.
Do you have a no sugar, no flour, no butter recipe to share?
Just for the odd occasion?