One of the fab things about meeting new school families is… new recipes! Here’s one from a lovely school mum who is not only vegetarian but also Scottish. Double winner for me.
Lara she made this for the very first time when she was only 17 and had just started at Edinburgh University. Those were the days.
Scarlet Mushroom and Beetroot Barley Risotto
one finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary (or you can get away with dried mixed herbs)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine, cider works too
1 cup pearl barley
3 cups vegetable stock
1 fresh beetroot, grated, 2 if v small
chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Fry the onion and garlic until soft.
2. Add mushrooms and cover, cook on low until liquid is released.
3. Stir in the thyme, rosemary, soy sauce, pepper, wine, barley and stock, cover and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for approx 30 mins, however 10 minutes into the cooking time add the grated beet and stir through. Continue cooking.
5. To serve, sprinkle with parsley if desired, serve with crusty bread or a big green salad.
Lara says: This is just the best, most wholesome veggie stew. Especially in the winter.
And it makes you feel like an utter nutritional saint.
That’s a good feeling!
I love this dish and my veggie husband enjoys it and one of the teens. The younger children are not keen, but it’s just a matter of keeping on keeping on with them.
What’s your favourite mushroom dish?
And are you a bit beetroot mad like I am?
Last Updated on