I loved my recent solo press trip to Fiji and was keen to get back with the family. Our family needs two rooms and six flights… yikes, it’s expensive!
So I’ve been researching tips on making Fiji more affordable.
Basic tips for a cheaper Fiji family holiday
- Go during school terms
- Go in the warmer summer months
- Do a meal deal or even find an all-meals included deal
- Book well ahead to get cheaper flights. Have a look at a post by my friend Julie on Gourmet Getaways How to get cheap flights here.
Tick! Tick! Tick! Tick! We’re going to Castaway Island in mid-December and taking advantage of their all-meals included deal.
Taking some of your own food and drink – thanks Nicole Taylor
- Buy a case of beer duty free and case of water. Even though tap water safe to drink I prefer bottled water
- Or stop at local supermarket to stock up before you hit resort.
- Take crackers, vegemite, cereal from home. We normally have big breakfast and early drinks or dinner so having snacks on standby keeps the kids happy.
Join a Facebook group
- I joined the closed Facebook group Holidaying in Fiji which has over 6000 members. It’s a great place to check things up and get ideas and advice.
I used a travel agent to help book flights. Here’s why:
Why use an Fiji-focused travel agent?
Kate Steven is a Sydney mum of four who runs her own business called Fiji For Families.
Kate has helped me book two trips to Fiji, I asked her why families should use an agent:
- Most of the time I have personally visited the resorts/island that you are considering.
- I know where to find the best deals (we often get access to special rates at resorts that are popular with families).
- I can tell you which boat transfer to arrange to match your flights when transferring to an island.
- I can explain what ‘kids eat free’ really means: there are often conditions which go with these deals.
- I know which hotels offer interconnecting rooms. The last thing you want is to be at the opposite sides of a resort when you have little kids.
- I can tell you what the children’s policies are in each resort, like the ages at the kids club, babysitting rates, how many kids per room.
- I know the dining options on offer, spa services, swimming pools, golf courses and all of the other small but essential details that help to make an unforgettable family holiday.
- Also a full-service travel agency means that we are available should there be even the slightest unforeseen glitch in your holiday arrangements – you won’t be left stranded waiting for a transfer, arrive to find your hotel rooms are on different floors or that the tour you had set your heart on is unavailable. Should illness or weather interfere with your plans, then Fiji for Families can step in and help modify your travel arrangements with the minimum of stress.
Click here to read a guest post from my friend Julie, outlining how she researched and found a bargain family holiday in Fiji for her family of four. Click here.
Her story will help many people I’m sure.
Meantime, can you share your own top tips here in the comments or on Facebook?
All advice welcome!
You’ll love these posts