Rhubarb has been a brekkie favourite since I was a wee girl. Mum always grew loads of rhubarb in the garden in East Lothian, Scotland. She still does.
We used to pick a stalk and thrust the end into a cup of sugar and then chew it.Oh lovely!
Meanwhile here in Sydney, my rhubarb growing is a disaster so far. But this year, it’s all going to be different… isn’t it? Hope so. Anyway, I love stewed rhubarb. But all too often I have stewed it into a mushy mess.
This time I did it in the Thermomix using a lower temperature and shorter cooking time. I adapted the recipe from one at Taste.
- 1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1 orange, rind finely grated, juiced
- 5cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 55g (1/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- Pulse ginger and sugar in the Thermomix for a few seconds at speed 8.
- Add in all the orange juice and rind, and the rhubarb.
- Cook in the Thermomix at 80 degrees C for 8 minutes on speed soft reverse.
- Scoff with Greek yoghurt.
- Serve it up to the kids!
- NB I often use less sugar, I quite like the sharpness of rhubarb and the flavours take the edge of it a bit.
Are you a rhubarb stalker too?
Can you recommend a good rhubarb recipe?