Yummy cakes made with vegetables, what more could we ask for? And this simple spiced zucchini bread loaf is one that has proved a big hit with all members of my family.
Here’s the story of where we found this recipe. Well, I like baking and the family likes eating cakes. So that is handy then. If I can squeeze a few veggies into the cake so much the better, but my range is limited.
So I owe many thanks to the exuberant Fast Ed and Eggs Australia who inspired some bloggers to go the egg-stra (sorry!) mile for our families’ health. Here’s the first cake off the rank, Fast Ed’s healthier version of zucchini bread, using wholemeal flour.
I was so overwhelmed when I scoffed some of this delicious zucchini bread that I whizzed to the shops with the kids after school, then parked them in front of ABC Kids and knocked one up.
It’s a really simple recipe for a totally scrumptious cake!
- 375g zucchini
- 165g golden syrup
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 210g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- low-fat ricotta, honey and berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C. Coarsely grate the zucchini and squeeze well to remove the excess moisture.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with the golden syrup, oil and eggs. Beat well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Set aside to stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the batter into a lined medium loaf pan (1L capacity) and bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Cool in the tin, then serve warm with low-fat ricotta, honey and berries.
COOK’S NOTE: These take 28 minutes when baked as ½ cup muffins.
Fast Ed's nutrition notes:
For one serving of 83g
Calories 187 Carbs: 22g Protein: 4.7g Fat: 8.6g
The kids loved it and ate loads, husband loved it and ate loads.
I loved it and ate one slice… slowly… and enjoyed it enormously.
Will definitely make it again… in fact, I have some zucchini in the fridge right now….
Have you tried my healthy chocolate cake (no sugar and uses coconut flour) or my super healthy banana bread – you must!
Or how about the lovely Vegan Peanut Butter Cupcakes? Click here.
Have you got your own favourite veggie-filled cake or dessert recipe?
Do share, I’m always after more healthy cake recipes… or even half-healthy.